8/25/11

Filling Up On Books

We’re managing the battle with our “prepare for baby” to-do list.  I’m ridiculously over-organized; therefore, my desire to have the house complete is in overdrive. Some call it nesting. At 26 weeks pregnant, I prefer to say it’s my obsessive need to feel in control.

Justin’s in the midst of a three-month training for his new job. So he’s traveling cross-country constantly. Our remodeling to-do list time is limited. I set a goal to have Jack’s big boy room completed by his birthday, Sept. 16, which is approaching at warp speed.

Over the weekend we finished our hallway modifications with furniture, upgraded my closet (so we could remove my dresses from baby’s closet), picked & purchased the paint & supplies for Jack’s room and reorganized Jack’s closet (removing all baby items).

In our weekend overhaul, I realized we don’t’ have nearly as many classic books as I imagined. Naturally as a writer, I love to read. Fortunately, Jack shares my passion. He enjoys hearing stories, naming objects & flipping pages. Since he was born, our nighttime ritual has always included a bedtime story (currently Cat in the Hat). With number two on the way and Jack’s love for books rising, I decided it’s time to visit Border’s liquidation sale. The next Saturday morning shopping trip is planned.

Knowing our kids will share books and wanting to keep the bedtime story tradition with the new baby, I decided to combine all the books in one easy-to-choose location. Both bedrooms and their bathroom are steps away from each other, so we fitted the hallway corner with a bookcase (purchased at Ikea). I’ve been wondering what to do with that corner since we moved in….  

Board books on bottom, rip-able books higher.

Here are a few of our favorite & must-haves reads:

Goodnight Moon
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See
Pat the Bunny
Dr. Seuss Hop on Pop
Richard Scarry’s Best Story Book Ever
The Very Hungary Caterpillar
Runaway Bunny
Go, Dog, Go
Caps for Sale
Curious George
The Little Engine That Could
The Tale of Peter Rabbit
Corduroy
One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
Fox in Sox
Where the Wild Things Are
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
The Napping House
Polar Express
Love You Forever
The Mitten
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Guess How Much I Love You
Good Night Gorilla
Mother Goose
Frog and Toad Are Friends
The Cat in the Hat
Mr. Popper’s Penguins
The Giving Tree

Am I missing any?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...