3/6/12

Snapshot Series: Tuning In

When Jack was a baby, I recorded all his milestones and silliness in a journal. I'd write daily on the things he was doing. So, today I'm starting the Snapshot Series, an e-journal of my children. Like pages in a diary, I'll share the moments of laughter and smiles that keep my world turning. Captured like photographs. So when Jack leaves for college or Ella goes on her first date, I'll have this to remember. 


3/6/12
Jack: 2.5 years
Ella: 3 months


I’m inhaling my kids lately. I noticed Jack’s laugh change. Sounds more devilish. Ella's obsessed with grabbing toys. Would spend hours on the play mat, talking to little birds. Slowly closing her tiny fingers around them. I think I've finally gripped onto life again or my husband is finally pitching in. Maybe it’s a combination.


A few nights ago, Jack struggled to go to bed. In typical toddler form, he tricked us into an hour routine of turning on lights, turning off lights, changing shirts, using the potty, reading another book, laying down, switching pillows, getting toys to sleep with and so on. Finally he requested to lay in our bed. Fine. We'd just move him when we actually made it to bed


Justin checked him later, found him in bed. TV on. 
Justin asked, "you okay buddy?" 
Jack faked sleeping. 


Shortly after, I went in to find the TV blaring. 
"That's really loud buddy, Ella's trying to sleep." I'm astonished that he actually turned on the TV. And the sound??!! I turned it down.
"Can't hear it," Jack whines.
I tell him to go to bed and leave the room. Baffled. 


After discussing with Justin, we realized our little two-year-old isn't so little anymore. He turned on the TV. Flipped to a cartoon. Then turned up the volume! And when Justin checked on him, Jack thought he'd gotten away with it. Justin thought I'd turned it on and let him be. Apparently our little toddler can sometimes outsmart us.


I always said I couldn't wait for the day when he could accomplish such tasks. But now that it's here, I'd like to turn around. He's growing into a boy way to fast.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Add This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...