10/24/12

Kid-Approved Tortellini & Veggie Soup

I'm not a chef. Won't pretend to be. Really, my husband understands the kitchen better than me. But, I do prefer a healthy meal. Filled with goodness to make the kids grow strong. And, something simple. Ingredients I can easily find at the supermarket. Finally, a recipe that takes less than 30 minutes and fits on an index card.

I came across the following recipe in a $1 item at Target, Family Fun's "Kid-Friendly Meals: School Night Suppers."

Twelve ingredients, including salt and pepper. Tortellini. My favorite. The taste was above the dollar I spent on the book. And, both baby Ella and preschooler Jack devoured it. Even the vegetables. My favorite about the recipe is you can add in new veggies each time. Creativity for the simple cooks.



Tortellini Vegetable Soup
Ingredients

2 tbls olive oil
1 medium onion
1 small zucchini, diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
5 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dried basil (more if fresh)
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
8-9 ounces tortellini (cheese or meat)
2-3 tbls chopped parsley
black pepper to taste


Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a medium soup pot or large saucepan. Add onion, zucchini and carrot. Saute over moderate heat 8 - 10 min., stirring often, or until onion is soft/translucent.

2. Add the stock, basil, bay leaf, tomatoes and salt to the pot. Increase heat and bring mixture to low boil. Add tortellini and bring back to low boil. Cook for two min., then reduce heat and simmer 5 - 6 min. Gently stir in parsley and pepper during last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...